MJ Reflections

Friday, August 13, 2010

Called To Do Great Things …Who, Me?

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. ~ Mother Teresa

Michael Jackson: King of Pop; worldwide mega superstar; musical & artistic genius; phenomenal dancer and singer; greatest entertainer of all time; creator and producer of the largest selling album of all time; trailblazer; trendsetter; fashion leader; spiritual messenger; love guru; global humanitarian; philanthropist; donator of hundreds of millions of dollars to charities around the world; winner of more awards than anybody…ever! I’m certain I could come up with many more adjectives and titles to describe this man-wonder who left behind the largest following of anyone…ever…to continue doing his work in the world.

One of the things that impressed me the most about Michael Jackson is the way he never stopped pushing the boundaries, striving to go beyond the limits of anything anyone had done before, including himself! Great things? That’s just about all this man did for his entire life! From the time he was in diapers dancing and moving to the rhythm of the washing machine, until his untimely death last year at the age of 50 when he was poised to give us the greatest show …ever! He gave us nothing short of greatness, perfection, and magic in everything he did.

And he loved at the same level! No matter what the challenges he faced or the ridicule hurled at him from all directions, Michael Jackson never gave up his belief in the power of love. He gave all of himself in order to show us how to be the kind of people who could make a difference in this world. He believed in our ability to heal the world and he believed in us. What a remarkable gift!

Those of us who have experienced an awakening since Michael’s death last June have felt compelled to find ways to carry on his work. Not unlike his dedicated long-time fans, we heard the message, we received the invitation, we recognize the need and we are determined to keep his legacy of love alive. We know Michael’s dream of a world with no fear, no hurt or sorrow…for the children. We know that he lived for the children and that he needs us to take his place - to do everything we can to make his dream come true.

Michael’s love has inspired the discovery of new talents and breathed new life into old ones for many of us. We have been so moved by the staggering scope of gifts he shared with us while he was here, that we have achieved heights we never dreamed possible with our own gifts and dreams. Sometimes I ask myself if I am worthy of such a treasure, and I have to say, I’ve had my doubts. I have spent a significant amount of time on this 14 month adventure vacillating between feeling bold, confident, capable, and worthy, to then wondering if Michael and God really knew what they were doing when they recruited me! I ask myself, “How in the world am I going to do anything big enough to make a difference on this great planet? Could it be really me you’re calling to do this tremendous work? What’s the catch? Is there a punch line to this huge cosmic joke?”

I have struggled sometimes to understand what I was being called to do while on this journey of discovery about Michael. Many of my earlier poems reflect that struggle, because I just couldn't understand how little ol' me could make a difference - especially when compared to the difference Michael made. Nobody will ever come near to making the impact he did, just by the sheer number of people whose hearts he touched all around the world! If I allow myself to think about it too much, it becomes very overwhelming!

Well, along this path, I have learned a few things here and there about this recruitment business and I have come to realize that, first of all, I can't say 'no' to this calling - it's virtually impossible! My whole being has been changed forever and it's like my entire life - everything, good & bad, that's happened leading up to this point, was all in preparation for this moment in time! This is where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing from now on. This Is It! All I have to do is remain open to receive divine guidance and inspiration from God and Michael. (They're in this together, you know!) It's not too difficult when I put my mind to it and when I invest my heart and soul into seeking the truth. Every single time I pray about what I am to do to help heal the world, answers come to me, usually within 24 hours. And I know when it's the right thing for me - it just fits, you know? Like Cinderella's glass slipper - it will only fit one foot, and you know when it slides right on without effort, there is no question about it. It's crystal clear.

And these things that he lays before me - they are not small. They may look small to the outside observer, but they feel huge to me, because they are each and every one a very precious gift for me to experience the joy of doing something significant that touches another. Something that will make a difference in the bigger picture, whether it's for one individual or for many. By doing one "small" thing, it grows and blossoms as it ripples out to many others who catch the wave of love and are touched, directly or indirectly, by the light which is cast from its origin. Nothing we do with great love is small! That's the bottom line. And I believe that's what Michael was here to teach us.

There is also great power in numbers. There have been times when group projects have come to my attention and I will lend my own individual abilities to help put it together. One small part, but a team effort. Each part is just as important as the next, and if any part were left out, it could not be done. Working together on a mutually inspired project increases its value and its impact. As Michael sang so passionately in the powerful song We've Had Enough, "There's nothing that can't be done if we raise our voice as one!" When I think of what Michael left for us - all the people around the world who love him and believe in his goodness - we have a rich and fertile foundation of many who share a common belief and a common goal to carry on Michael’s work in the world, to make a difference in his name. Altogether, we are a powerful force for good which is bound to have a significant impact!

When individuals work on projects alone, they can share their ideas through the use of modern technology, providing inspiration for others to do the same. I have a friend who happens to be gifted not only in making beautiful videos about Michael, but also in coming up with creative ideas for projects she can do in her own community. I was intrigued with a particular project she worked on recently when she shared her video with me, showing what she had done. I was so impressed with this “small” project which was done with such great love, I knew immediately that this was something I would love to do, and I am planning to do it very soon in my little corner of Oregon. I also have made plans with another MJ friend in Oregon to meet half-way between our two communities and spend a day together spreading Michael’s love in this very special way.

My friend, Wednesday55, has given me permission to share her video with you here. You may have already seen it as it has recently been featured on the Tribute Portrait website and has been spreading among the MJ fan community on the internet. Take a look:



Now, doesn’t that just fill your heart with warmth and love? This idea - sharing pieces of Michael's heart & soul - his words, which were one of the most precious gifts he left for us - so simple, yet so profound!! What a wonderful tribute to him and a beautiful way to give some very blessed people an opportunity to have a glimpse into Michael's true heart and to feel his love! I just know Michael is grinning from ear to ear over this wonderful project being passed along from one to another and spreading with love around the world! By doing this, people who may not otherwise have noticed are unexpectedly receiving the gift of his brilliant light - his Divine inspiration!! How divine is that?

Sometimes we may feel that the “small” things we do are insignificant in the bigger picture, but when we perform a random act of kindness from our hearts with great love, as in this project, and when we share it with others via email, facebook, twitter, YouTube - any of the mediums available to us - there starts the ripple, and the wave of love & light spreads far and wide. Imagine for a moment the people who will stumble upon these little gems. Maybe one of the messages is found by someone who needed some extra love that day, or who had been searching for something to add meaning to their life, but hadn't quite found it yet. Upon reading this message from Michael, their hearts are touched by his words and they decide to find out more about this man, just as we all have done, and thus begins their journey back to their own heart and to a place where they can help others too. This is not small! This is how we as individuals and as a collective force for goodness and love, will make a difference in the world - and that is bigger than the moon and the stars!

Small things done with great love ARE great things!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *















The Call

We don’t always know what form it will take
Whisper of creation sends an invitation,
Makes the call
God’s message delivered to seal our fate
Asks us to serve, to give it our all

Can’t ignore the call from The Man
It’s the real deal, part of the plan
Of what we are to be and do
An amazing gift for me and you

The wind holds the clue
Holy Spirit, life anew
Speaks to your soul from heaven above
Wrapped in a blanket of love

Listen carefully and you will know
The greatest show in all of creation
Is yours to unfold
Your light to behold!

God will take your hand, never leave you alone
As you make your stand and set the tone
For love and peace and harmony
The world is your stage for eternity

You may wonder, how can one person be
Everything to all humanity?

By joining hands with others
One cause, one message, i
ts strength will grow
It’s all for LOVE, don’t you know?

Plain and simple, it shouldn’t be hard
Love is the answer to all that we are
This world needs it right from the start
Good for the soul, feeds the heart

Creation sings to one and all
The message is LOVE
This is the call!

04/17/10
Copyright © 2010 by Charlene Burgess

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Charlene,
    These entries are so beautiful. I truly love your "Called to do Great Things" above. Yes, I believe we were all placed here on this earth at this time in HIStory for a reason. Perhaps, that reason is not clear to us at first. Perhaps, it took 1992/1993 to get my attention. Maybe, that darkness was required to bring so much light into my heart. Perhaps, it took 2009 to awaken yours and to re-awaken mine. We will probably never understand the mechanics or logistics of it fully. But, now that we are awake and paying attention, I feel that we have taken up the burden - perhaps, just our small expression can help one other person to give in to that nagging curiosity that he/she doesn't understand. And we have made a contribution - we are one of the ripples spreading in circular pattern across the ocean of apathy. One inch and one heart at a time - and we can change the world. I am glad you are on this journey with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlene,
    My dear friend...finally I had time to sit down & give your blog the attention I wanted to give it. And I must say Thank YOU! This is just simply beautiful! God works in wondrous and mysterious ways and has used Michael Jackson all over this blue globe to touch and change hearts. I too have felt conflicted in why God has called me and filled me with such a desire to write since Michael's death. It may just be a tiny bit of Michael touched those willing and open to the call as his spirit left this world and entered heaven for all eternity. YES!! Small things done with great love ARE great things!! Thank you for being you Charlene. You have blessed me today. I have seen this video on Face Book and had already decided to do this project. So happy to learn where it originated. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jan,
    I am glad I am on this journey with you too! You inspire me. "One inch and one heart at a time - and we can change the world." Yes! Those small things done with great love that start the ripple. That's all it takes.

    When I was feeling overwhelmed, thinking about the huge impact Michael has made on this world and wondering how little ol' me could make a difference, a friend sent me a special version of Michael's song "Heal the World". It's a promotional version where Michael talks between the verses about the organization and why he started it. At one point he says, "If one person just helped one child, they've done so much...It's a big step forward, cause there's a lot to be done, and children all over the world are in such need." This reminded me that I don't have to do it as big as Michael did it! Who can do that anyway??? When I heard that, it was almost as if he was giving me permission to take it "one inch, one heart at a time" like you said! Now that feels a lot more do-able and is not so overwhelming - I can do that! ;~)

    Thank you for your insight and your inspiration!

    ~Charlene~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keshia,

    Thank you for stopping by for a peek and for sharing a word of exclamation!!! God Bless You, my friend!

    ~Charlene~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear, Dear Betty!
    Your words mean so much to me! I know that you are very busy doing so many wonderful things with and for other MJ fans. I see most everything you do and I am in awe! You are a special angel connection for many people who aren't privileged to live in the same area where Michael lived. And you have the special task of representing Michael and the LA fans, sharing love and peace with the fans around the world, as Michael always did. You are like a rock in the middle of the vast ocean - steadfast and true, providing a secure place to land for the weary traveler. A spot where we can see as far as the eye can see into Michael's world, the place he called home. And through you we can touch the things he touched, view his surroundings as he must have viewed them. What a blessing and a treasure you are, my friend!

    I hope we will meet one day.

    LOVE to you... ~Charlene~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charlene dear!
    WOW!! truly AMAZING!!!!! WHAT A BLOG!!!
    MICHAEL JACKSON?? HE WAS SO BIG FOR THIS EARTH! HE WAS A SUPERLATIVE! AN EXCLAMATION POINT IN ALL AREAS!!!!!!

    For me, HE IS THE NEW PROPHET OF LOVE!!!!
    wHAT HE DID; WAS JUST unbelievable!!!

    Because of him, I started to become happy again!
    He brought us his TALENT! ITS MAGIC!!!!

    God Bless

    Greetigns from Germany!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Maria!
    Thank you for your wonderful comments.
    Yes, Michael was so big for this earth! Sometimes I wonder if we deserved him, but I am so grateful he was allowed to be here during my lifetime. The New Prophet of Love - I like that! With his love, he has brought so much happiness, light and magic to our lives, hasn't he? I hope we can honor his memory in the way he deserves with the work we do on his behalf - keeping the love in our hearts forever, as he would do.

    God Bless You,
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Charlene,

    Thank you for your beautiful post. You have inspired me to keep going!

    Maybe you might like to let your readers know about the charity project for Michael so that they can do their small bit too?

    www.mjbirthdaycharity.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Johanna,
    Thank you for stopping by and leaving your nice comment. I'm glad my words inspired you to keep going! I just came from the MJBirthdaycharity site to see the results and left a comment there for you. I think it went well and I'm glad you hung in there!! I did tell a few friends about it last week, but I may have been too late. I would love to help out if I can the next time you decide to do something like this. You did a beautiful job of coordinating it and you may not need any help, but keep me in mind just in case. I will certainly support another effort with my donation at the very least.

    I hope you will stop by my blog again! This is something I have felt called to do by Michael and I'm certainly enjoying the opportunity to share my thoughts and reflections with others through my writing. Can't say no to the call! If my words inspire others to keep going when this journey gets tough, then I have done a small thing with great love, and that is good!
    All for Michael and all for L.O.V.E.! ;~)

    ~ Charlene

    ReplyDelete