MJ Reflections

Friday, December 17, 2010

A Christmas Story: Yours and Mine


It's been a tradition of mine for many years to purchase one new Christmas CD each year to add to my collection. This year I decided to purchase the Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD entitled "Christmas Eve and Other Stories". To tell you the truth, I had never listened to their music before, although I had heard of them. This particular CD was produced in 1996, so it's been around a while. My general preference for Christmas music leans toward instrumental versions of classic carols or those sung by choirs. I also have artists such as Josh Groban, Jim Brickman and Michael W. Smith in my Christmas music library. Music that inspires is what I like to listen to, especially this time of year. Anything that tells the Christmas story and instills a sense of wonder and gratitude for the joy of the season and the precious gift of the Christ child.


I took my new Christmas CD to work with me the day after I purchased it, popped it into my boombox and began listening. But because I was busy working, I wasn't totally tuned in to most of the music except when a squealing electric guitar caught my attention. It surprised me because it wasn't what I was expecting - you might say I was even a little disappointed. Not that I don't like electric guitar, but it didn't feel much like Christmas music to me when I heard those parts! Nonetheless, I continued to play the CD as I worked. Soon there came a song that made me stop what I was doing to listen closely. A man's voice, a bit gritty and raw, was singing a ballad accompanied by an acoustic guitar. At first, I only heard his voice which touched something deep inside of me with its expression. I felt tears welling up and I didn't even know yet what he was singing about! I replayed the song and listened more carefully to his words and what I heard was a message as told in a story...MY story...OUR story of how Michael Jackson walked into our hearts and got our attention!

As you listen to the song and read the lyrics, think about this...For many of us, before Michael died, we were closed off, couldn't see past the end of our noses. We didn't even realize that there was anything we were missing...until June 25, 2009. Michael came into our vision and brought it into focus...he danced and sang his way into our hearts and taught us about all the things he had been noticing all along. Things that caused him heartache and concern for the world.


He noticed when a child or a fan in the crowd needed a hug...and he gave it. He noticed when a family or an individual needed help...and he offered it. He noticed when the world directed its prejudice or hatred toward certain kinds of people...and he spoke out about it. He noticed when we were blindly destroying our earth and not caring about the long term consequences...and he sang about it with passion!

He noticed when a sick or dying child just needed a touch or a smile...and he gave it with tenderness and Love in his heart. He was the little boy who came through the door into our sheltered world to show us what was happening outside, to shake us free from our comfortable places and help us to see that we could make a difference!

So, I decided to share this song with you here in hopes that we could be inspired to "somehow make this Christmas thing last"...

I wish you Hope, Peace, Joy, Love and always Inspiration this Christmas and throughout the coming year. May we continue to arrange to change the world as the Christ Child and our man-child have inspired us to do!


Old City Bar
In an old city bar
That is never too far
From the places that gather
The dreams that have been

In the safety of night
With its old neon light
It beckons to strangers
And they always come in

And the snow it was falling
The neon was calling
The music was low
And the night Christmas Eve

And here was the danger
That even with strangers
Inside of this night
It’s easier to believe

Then the door opened wide
And a child came inside
That no one in the bar
Had seen there before

And he asked did we know
That outside in the snow
That someone was lost
Standing outside our door

Then the bartender gazed
Through the smoke and the haze
Through the windows and ice
To a corner street light

Where standing alone
By a broken pay phone
Was a girl the child said
Could no longer get home

And the snow it was falling
The neon was calling
The bartender turned
And said, not that I care
But how would you know this?
The child said I’ve noticed
If one could be home
They’d be already there

Then the bartender came out from behind the bar
And in all of his life he was never that far
And he did something else that he thought no one saw
When he took all the cash from the register draw

Then he followed the child to the girl across the street
And we watched from the bar as they started to speak
Then he called for a cab and he said J.F.K.
Put the girl in the cab and the cab drove away
And we saw in his hand
That the cash was all gone
From the light that she had
Wished upon



If you want to arrange it
This world you can change it
If we could somehow make this
Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
Or even a stranger
And to know who needs help
You need only just ask

Then he looked for the child
But the child wasn’t there
Just the wind and the snow
Waltzing dreams through the air

So he walked back inside
Somehow different I think
For the rest of the night
No one paid for a drink



And the cynics will say
That some neighborhood kid
Wandered in on some bums
In the world where they hid

But they weren’t there
So they couldn’t see
By an old neon star
On that night, Christmas Eve

When the snow it was falling
The neon was calling
And in case you should wonder
In case you should care

Why we’re on our own
Never went home
On that night of all nights
We were already there

“Christmas Eve and Other Stories”
Trans-Siberian Orchestra, 1996





18 comments:

  1. Hello Friends!
    I hope you enjoyed this story. I have been so excited to share it with you!

    I want you to know that I made every effort to learn how to post just the music without the video, since the tail end of the song is cut off on this video. I will continue to try, and I'll let you know if I succeed! If anyone can offer some tips on how to accomplish this, I would sure appreciate it. I did purchase the song and I have it on file on my computer.

    Love & Christmas Blessings to all!
    ~ Char ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl said (via facebook)...

    Char as always another brilliant story. I keep thinking what beautiful music you and Michael would have made together, with your talent for writing and his talent for everything there would of been no stopping you to. I know I'm a dreamer but you have quite a gift for writing and it's always straight from your heart. I'm honored to call you my friend.
    Love you more..Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda said (via facebook)...
    VERY LOVELY..! ~ Thank you for sharing. ♥ ~ with Wishes for Love, Joy, Bliss and Enchantment to Grace your Holiday Season..!! ~ sending Major Love, Hugs and sparkling Pixie Dust over you abundantly, under your Tree and filling your Stocking..! :) :) :) xoxoxo ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia said (via facebook)...

    Thank you Charlene, you are great ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elmira said (via facebook)...

    Dear Char,

    The song tells of the Christmas spirit, to share and do well in the world, to help the poor, underprivileged, the sick and the dying. The beauty in your story is the link to our beloved Michael, who did not limit the sharing and caring to the dark days preceding Christmas. For him every day was, in that sense Christmas. As the true sense of Christmas is not found in the christmas tree and presents and twinkling lights, but the birth of Christ within ourselves. Like Michael said: to be like Christ, every day. I love how you tied these two together as they belong together, if not literally then very much symbolically.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, so eloquently worded and straight from the heart.
    Hugs,
    Elmira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marjolein said (via facebook):

    Wow, thank you, wonderful story, wonderful song and you did a wonderful job putting Michael into all of that!
    Girl, you received a wonderful gift and i'm so glad you decided to share that gift.........
    LOVE to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy said (via facebook)...

    Char that was a beautiful story as I thought it would be. Michael was truly a gift for us to have been blessed with in our lifetime.
    Wishing you a Christmas Holiday filled with all the joy of the Season!
    Love you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlene,
    This is absolutely lovely. I love how you showed how Michael noticed the sick and the poor and the deprived and tied it in with the song. Very appropriate.

    Happy Christmas and Michaelmas, Dear Friend :)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jan...
    Thank you so much for leaving your comment here. I cherish your words and I want to remember them for all time!

    "Michaelmas" - hmmm, that's a new one...I like it!
    Happy Christmas and Michaelmas to you too, my friend!

    Love & Blessings,
    ~ Char ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Charlene,
    Thank you so much for sharing your MJness here with us all. For sharing this song which is really about the inspiration of Michael's loving, caring heart and the true Christmas spirit that he carried all year through for all the children of the world, the needy, those that needed comfort or the hurting earth. His compassion was mammoth, from his huge global insight. He truly was God's chosen one of LOVE in modern times, in our life time, and an inspiration for ALL generations.
    Dear friend, you always seem to capture in your words MJ's true inner beauty and loving, kind heart. I so appreciate your sharing this with us, very inspiring as always. Thank you for sharing your Christmas spirit. Christmas has changed for me since Michael died. I no longer listen much to Christmas music; it no longer has the jubilant, celebratory feeling for me it used to. Christmas for me will never be the same without Michael Jackson in this world. It's odd since I never met him... but then life simply just will never be the same with MJ gone. Everything has a different feel and meaning to it now as I look at life through the filter of Michael Jackson's heart. So this story & song was a light in the night for me. LOVE to you...you are a treasure and an example of what Michael taught us that life, as we reach out to others all year long, is truly All about LOVE... L.O.V.E.
    Blessings and MERRY CHRISTmas!!!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Dear Charlene, thank you for this lovely article. You always touch my heart and soul..Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.I love you! Mado

    ReplyDelete
  12. Veronica said (via facebook)...

    Char ! What a truth! what a beautiful way to say about the way Michael entered our lives...I love the description of his heart, when you say he was th eone who cares about any person who may have a need around him!.
    Thank you sweetie, your s...tory is not only beautiful and touching...IT IS TRUE. The images are very pretty.
    As usual, you are giving us a precious treasure of spiritual and true L.O.V.E.
    Thanks sweetie, this is my first Christmas present, and I am certainly keeping it close to my heart.
    Love you sis ♥♥
    VerĂ³nica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candy said (via facebook)...

    Dear Charlene thank you for your link. This is the best Christmas gift you could ever give to us. I love the story, the pictures and the song. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Betty,
    Thank you so much, my friend, for your loving and heartfelt comments! I agree with you that Christmas is not the same...nor is LIFE the same since June 25, 2009. And, yes, everything has a different feel and meaning to it for me as well. We are changed forever by his light that he shared with us and so many others around the world. It has given us new vision which, for me, makes everything more vivid - the beauty as well as the ugliness that is in the world. That is, no doubt, as God intended so that we would be more inspired to change some of that ugliness into beauty. It truly is all about LOVE!!

    Blessings and (((Hugs))) to you, my friend!
    ~ Charlene ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mado...
    I am sending lots of LOVE and wishes your way for a blessed and joy-filled Christmas!!

    Thank you for your friendship, darlin'.
    I love you MORE!
    ~ Charlene ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mabi said (via facebook)...

    Thank you, Charlene...It´s a beautiful song and it made me feel Michael, too. His life was a real gift for us and he always tried to help children.
    Just like the Christmas days...Love you, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello. i just discovered your blog, thanks for following mine, even if i didn't updated it lately.
    i must say you got a nice warm way of seeing things and i thank you for that..also i enjoy so much reading your poems, they are very well written and i can feel them when i read and i think that's what matters most...the feeling..this song you speak of and the whole story is amazing...and gives me goosebumps ...thank you for sharing this and for writing your heart here. With all the love in the world, Lightseeker

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lightseeker,
    What a pleasure to have you come by and leave your beautiful message! Thank you dear! Your words are a blessing to me.
    Lots of Love and Joy to you in this new year!
    ~ Charlened ~

    ReplyDelete