MJ Reflections

Friday, September 24, 2010

Silence Speaks

Been workin’ overtime
Deadlines, paperwork, keeping it all straight
No time for dreaming or saving the world
No time for inspiration, it just has to wait

The necessities of life keep calling my name
Have to stay focused on the task at hand
Others are counting on me to get it right
Hold it together until the work is done
















Inner child, my beautiful dreamer
The one who loves to sing and dance
She believes in magic and moonbeams
But she can’t see the light from where she waits
The magical words cannot be heard
Held hostage somewhere deep within
Or suspended above just out of reach
Restrained from gliding past her lips
Withheld from flowing through pen onto paper

Creativity, that tenacious child tugging on my sleeve
Longs for expression, needs to be heard
She’s tired of the dark where she’s been hiding
She wants to come out and play
Stay in the light and share her joy
Live her life fully every single day

No time to say “good mornin’, I love you”
Touch base at the core and let you in
Speak to me, tell me what I need to hear
Your love is constant, I know it’s real
Help me feel it through the din


















That still small voice inside
Has been silenced once again
Too busy to listen
Too tired to be aware
But I know you are there
So I speak to you briefly from my heart
Tears stream from my eyes
For this momentary glimpse
A touch from you in the dark

Reminding me once again
"Your speech, more beautiful and dense
Expresses with the silence its sense"

So this silence is golden
It speaks to me of your love
Your messages held within
I must be still and pray
Allow the silence to have its way

Before I express what’s laying on my heart
"It’s got to sound good to me inside
So I just think about it"

Let it simmer and leave the door open wide
For your voice to enter
And give me the words I long to write

As I drive along in silence
I hear your voice in song…
"Someone put your hand out
Beggin’ for your love
All I do is hand out
A heart that needs your love"


Then, as if on cue…
A car pulls in front of me
and the license plate reads
URMYLV

09/22/10
Copyright © 2010 by Charlene Burgess

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I understand this feeling so very well. There are times when our writing has to take a back seat to our lives. Fortunately, it waits for us ... sometimes just long enough to yell from that back seat "Are we there, yet?" As long as we don't silence the voice of that inner child forever, she is still waiting for us to find the time and the inspiration to get back into it.

    Charlene, I so wish I could help! It's Friday! Take a deep breath! It's Michael-time (I know that's supposed to be Miller time, but we all have our own little addictions, don't we?)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan,
    Thank you my friend! Yes, it's Friday. So what are you doin' leaving me a comment here on a Friday night? Of course...I know...it's Michael time!! (I'd rather have this little addiction than Miller any day!)
    Just so you know, you help by understanding, by being here, by staying connected. It means the world! Wish we could meet up and have some serious MJ girlfriend time - now THAT would be a great way to spend a Friday night!
    Love you,
    ~ Charlene :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that would be cool, wouldn't it! Oh, well, we'll just have to make due with cyberspace when time permits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Charlene, English is not my native tongue and this creates problems when I want to express deeper feelings..I loved your poem..it reprsents me as well.
    Love you! Love MJ forever..
    Mado

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mado,
    I am so excited to see you found a way to post a comment here! It means a great deal to me that you kept trying and now, here you are!! Yes!! And, BTW, I think you express yourself beautifully. I'm glad you love the poem. ;~)
    I Love You MORE!
    ~ Charlene ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Char,
    You understand this place so well . . . and I am there right now. Must find a way to be OK, and just let it be. It comforts me to know that you have been there too. I just love that pic of the little girl. She is quite magical. I am pulled deeper into the silence now, it's time to let go.
    I love you Char, xoxo, Froggy

    ReplyDelete