MJ Reflections

Monday, June 20, 2011

Celebrating Michael

With my computer being fairly inaccessible the last week or two, I've been taking a trip down Memory Lane, watching more of my Michael videos than I have in a long, long time! It's been very refreshing, to tell you the truth, to get back to the very thing that I spent so much time doing in the beginning of this journey. It's been like getting acquainted with him all over again, only this time, from an entirely different perspective.

The first time was an adventure of discovering all the wonderful things about this man that I already knew on some deep level, but I had not taken the time to explore prior to his passing on June 25, 2009. This time has been like a refresher course, but with the added benefit of having already done the exploring into deeper territory, it just confirmed everything I had learned before... and more! If I could possibly fall any deeper in love with this amazing man, it has definitely happened in the last couple of weeks! I continue to be amazed at the things Michael did throughout his life and career to give his fans the very best of himself. And, although it came at a great cost to him at times, I am ever so grateful for this incredible gift!

I've also been leafing through my notebooks which are full of my handwritten notes - things I wanted to remember and keep track of, especially during the first several months of this journey when thoughts and ideas were flowing constantly, and before I purchased my little laptop. I came across the text of a 3-page letter Michael had written in 1988 to William Pecchi Jr, one of his camera operators for the movie Moonwalker and during the Bad World tour. Many of you have probably already seen and read this letter, but I'm going to reprint it in its entirety here because, to me, it captures the heart and soul of Michael Joseph Jackson, the man and the genius that we have all fallen in love with. Michael always said he wanted to live forever through his art and this letter certainly reflects that desire. His passion for creating perfection as a gift for the world to enjoy and learn from far beyond his years on this earth can be felt in every word written in this poingnant letter.

As I watched the video of the Bad tour in Japan last week, I was reminded of a moment during "Shake Your Body" when Michael called out to Pecky, saying "Pecky, where are you?" After coming across this letter, it made me wonder what Michael was thinking when he said that. My own feelings about it are that he was experiencing some incredible magic with the audience in that moment which he wanted Pecky to capture, and this was his way of letting Pecky know what he expected. I shake my head in total wonderment of how "plugged in" he was to his audience!...

"Pecky - I very seldom write letters, but this is a moving occasion. I couldn't help myself. I want to thank you for putting the effort forward to capture the magic and excitement of the people of the world. What you do is a very personal and powerful medium to me. It is the art of stopping time, to preserve a moment that the naked eye cannot hold, to capture truth, spontaneous truth, the depths of excitement in human spirit. All else will be forgotten, but not the film, generations from now will experience the excitement you've captured, it truly is a time capsule. I will not be totally satisfied until I know you're at the right angle at the right time to capture a crescendo of emotion that happens so quickly, so spontaneously.

"What you have done is good, but I want the best, the whole picture, cause and effect. I want crowd reaction, wide lens shots - depth of emotion, timing. I know we can do it. It is my dream and goal to capture truth. We should dedicate ourselves to this. The person who makes a success of living, is the one who sees his goal steadily and aims for it unswervingly. That is dedication. There is no other way to perfection than dedication, perseverance. Just tell us what you need to make it happen. Take the leadership to direct the other camermen. I've enjoyed working with you. That is why I asked you to come, you have a gentle spirit that's very likeable. Maybe I look at the world through rose colored glasses, but I love people all over the world. That is why stories of racism really disturb me. You hurt my heart and soul when you told me of your boyhood in Texas. Because in truth I believe all men are created equal. I was taught that and will always believe it.

"I just can't conceive of how a person could hate another because of skin color. I love every race on the planet earth. Prejudice is the child of ignorance. Naked we come into the world and naked we shall go out. And a very good thing too, for it reminds me that I am naked under my shirt, whatever its color. I'm sorry to bring up such past news, but in the car I was hurt by what you said. I'm so happy though that you have managed to overcome your childhood past. Thank God that you've graduated from such beliefs of ignorance. I'm glad I've never experienced such things. Teach your kids to love all people equally. I know you will. I speak from my heart, saying I Love you and all people, especially the children. I'm glad God chose me and you. ~ Love, M.J."

I'm glad God chose you too, Michael Jackson!! I LOVE you forever...


06/19/11
Copyright © 2011 by Charlene Burgess

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Char for reminding us again what is so AMAZING about this man.
    Love you more!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful letter he wrote!!

    Oh, I love so much this show, of Japan! Michael was so happy, so energetic, so amazing (as always)! That's why we love him so much =)

    Much love to you,
    Mayra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael said Pecky because I had missed my on stage cue to join him on stage with a camera. We had used this technique in several performances, he loved to see the audiences response to him, so the camera was on them as he pulled me around stage. I was not there because he had sent me up to the Sky Cam operator to make sure they got the shot he wanted. I could not make it back in time. I had left a card with a note on and had a crew person hold it where I was supposed to be. Guess that didn't work.

    So there you are,
    W Pecchi,SOC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Pecchi,

    I am so pleased to hear from you! Thank you for stopping by and giving your explanation of what actually happened during that concert when he called out to you. We can all speculate and even imagine what the stories are behind much of what we see Michael doing onstage, but the truth is, only those involved know what really happened. So your coming forward to set the record straight on this story is very much appreciated!

    It is obvious in his letter to you that Michael thought very highly of you and the work you did for him. I pray that you are doing well and that you have fond memories of your time with Michael. His passing has been a tremendous loss to the world, not only for his incredible gifts as a musician and entertainer, but also for being an example of love and kindness and giving back to the world so much of what he was blessed to receive.

    Again, my thanks to you for your candor.

    ~ Charlene ~

    ReplyDelete